California Consumer Privacy Act
Job Applicant Privacy Notice For California Residents Only
Last Updated: April 10, 2023
Lynden Incorporated and its subsidiaries and affiliates (the “Company”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of the personal information you provide to us. Please read this California Consumer Privacy Act Applicant Privacy Notice (the “Privacy Notice”) to learn how we collect and process your personal information when you apply for a job or other role with us. As a job applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which we use such personal information, pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended, including by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (collectively the “CCPA”). This Privacy Notice only applies to job applicants who are residents of the State of California. The Company does not sell or otherwise disclose this personal information for monetary or other consideration to any third parties.
Categories of Personal Information Collected
In each case as permitted by applicable law, we collect the following categories of personal information for the purposes described below:
- Personal identifiers, such as your name, preferred name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, date of birth, and other similar identifiers.
- Personal Records, such as your signature, Social Security number, address, telephone number, education, employment or employment history.
- Protected characteristics, such as minority, veteran and disability status, through voluntary self- disclosure. Such information will only be collected as permitted by applicable law and will not be used to make hiring decisions.
- Internet or other similar network activity information, such as your IP address, log-in information or information regarding your interaction with a website, application or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data, such as IP addresses from which we can determine your general location.
- Sensory data, such as audio and visual information, for example if you use video interviewing as part of the application process. If you visit our facilities, your entry and exit may be monitored by CCTV.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as your work history, references, information about skills and abilities, accomplishments and awards, training and development information, performance evaluation information, and employment termination information.
- Education information, such as your education history, education records (such as grades, transcripts and class lists), and other information included in your resume or cover letter.
- Inferences drawn from other personal information, such as a profile reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.
- Other: Job interview notes, responses to screening questions, assessment results, and any other information you provide in connection with the recruitment process. We also collect legal and contractual information, such as information necessary to respond to law enforcement and governmental agency requests, comply with legal and contractual obligations, exercise legal and contractual rights, and initiate or respond to, or establish, exercise and defend, legal and contractual rights claims.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect personal information you voluntarily provide to us when you apply for a job or otherwise contact us in the recruitment context. If you are visiting our website or online job application, we may also automatically collect device information such as IP addresses and device identifiers.
We may also combine personal information collected from other sources with the personal information that you provide to us. For example, we may collect information from:
- Prior employers (e.g., for references),
- Professional references you provide to us,
- Educational institutions,
- Pre-employment screening services,
- Credentialing and licensing organizations,
- Publicly available sources such as your social media profile (e.g., LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook) and
- Other sources as directed by you.
Use of Personal Information
We use the categories of personal information listed above for the following purposes:
- Process and manage your application: We use your personal information to process your job application, establish a job applicant profile for the recruitment process, assess your qualifications for a specific role with us, schedule and conduct interviews, communicate with you, and carry out background and reference checks (see the following bullet point for additional information). We may collect audio and visual information of job applicants through photographs used for identification purposes. With your consent, we may record video of you in connection with the application process, for example through a third party screening service. Additionally, if you are offered a position with us, we may use your personal information in the employee on-boarding process.
- Conduct reference and background checks (as permitted by applicable law): We use personal information we collect to conduct reference checks and to evaluate your qualifications and experience. We may also conduct background checks (as authorized by you and permitted by applicable law).
- Provide immigration support: If applicable and as permitted by applicable law, we may collect your personal information to assist with immigration support, such as applying for visas or work permits.
- Analyze and improve our recruitment process and tools: For example, we analyze trends in our applicant pool, and use personal information to understand and improve our recruitment process and tools (including improving diversity and inclusion). If you use our online job application process, we collect personal information in this category, such as your interactions with our “Employment” page and our online application process. We collect IP address location information to better understand how candidates use our careers page and online application process.
- Record-keeping: We keep records of your personal information as required by law and in accordance with our record retention policies.
- Meeting legal requirements and enforcing legal terms: We collect and process your personal information for purposes of: fulfilling our legal obligations under applicable law, regulation, court order or other legal process, such as preventing, detecting and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities; protecting the rights, property or safety of you, us or another party; enforcing any agreements with you; responding to claims; and resolving disputes. Additionally, we may use information about protected characteristics to analyze and monitor the diversity of our job applicants in accordance with applicable laws. As a federal government contractor, under certain circumstances the Company and its affiliates are required to share applicant information (such as name, race, gender, veteran and disability status) with the U.S. government including without limitation in connection with completing annual affirmative action plans that third party vendors assist in creating.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may share your personal information as necessary for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, including internally with our personnel involved in the hiring process. For example, we share your personal information with the following parties:
- Affiliates: We may share your personal information with our affiliates including Alaska Marine Lines, Inc.; Alaska Marine Trucking, LLC; Alaska West Express, Inc.; Bering Marine Corporation; Bowhead Equipment Company DBA Lynden Tank Company; Canadian Lynden Transport Co.; DeLong Mountain Logistics, LLC; Knik Construction Co., Inc.; LTI, Inc.; Lynden Air Cargo, LLC; Lynden International Logistics ULC; Lynden Incorporated; Lynden Puerto Rico, Inc.; Lynden Transport, Inc.; Lynden Logistics, Inc.; Lynden Logistics Services, Inc.; Northland Services, Inc.
- Service Providers: We use service providers to operate, host and facilitate our hiring and recruitment process. These include hosting, technology and communication providers; security and fraud prevention consultants; analytics providers; background and reference check screening services; and hiring process management tools.
- Government authorities and law enforcement: In certain situations, we may be required to disclose Personal Data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Business transfers: Your personal information may be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part).
- Professional advisors: We may share your personal information with our professional advisors.
- Other: We may also share your personal information with third parties in conjunction with any of the activities set forth under “Meeting legal requirements and enforcing legal terms” in the “Use of Personal Information” section above.
California Privacy Rights & Choices
If you are a California resident, subject to certain exceptions you have the following rights related to your personal information and how we use such information:
Right to Know: You may request that Lynden disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable request, we may disclose to you:
- the categories of personal information we collected about you,
- the categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you,
- our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information,
- the categories of third parties with whom we disclose that personal information, and
- the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
Right to Delete: You may request that Lynden delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions.
Right to Correct: You may request that we correct personal information about you that is inaccurate.
None of these rights are absolute and there may be circumstances in which we are required or permitted under applicable law not to address your request.
If you choose to exercise any of the privacy rights described above, we will not discriminate against you.
Exercising Your Rights
Only you or another person that you authorize to act on your behalf (“Authorized Agent”) may make a verifiable request related to your personal information. Any verifiable request must:
- provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative; and
- describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
To exercise any of the rights described above, please complete and submit the online Lynden Privacy Request Form. Upon making a request, we may need to verify your identity by asking you to provide additional information to allow us to identify you.
Alternatively, your Authorized Agent may submit a request on your behalf by completing and submitting the online Lynden Privacy Request Form (Authorized Agent). Your authorized agent must submit proof that you gave the agent signed permission to submit the request. We may still require you to directly verify your identity and directly confirm that you have provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
Changes to this Privacy Notice; Construction
We may occasionally update this Privacy Notice. When we do, we will revise the “last updated” date at the top of the Privacy Notice and post the revised Privacy Notice on this page. Any changes will become effective upon the posting of the revised Privacy Notice. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Notice. For purposes of this Privacy Notice: (i) the words “include,” “includes” and “including” are deemed to be followed by the words “without limitation” and (ii) the word “or” is not exclusive.
How to Contact Us
If you have a privacy concern or question related to this Privacy Notice , please contact: Lynden Incorporated, Attn: Human Resources, 18000 International Blvd., Ste 800, Seattle, WA 98188 or HR@lynden.com. Job applicants with disabilities may access this notice in an alternative format by contacting HR@lynden.com.