Need help? Our experts are ready to find the solution you need.
Shipping a Trailer to Alaska or Hawaii
Shipping your trailer to and from Alaska or Hawaii is simple with Alaska Marine Lines. Our barge service is a reliable and economical option for those interested in traveling or looking to relocate to Alaska or Hawaii. We can transport a variety of trailers including enclosed utility, travel, and ATV/UTV trailers, among others. Our knowledgeable and friendly team will answer any questions and make sure your trailer is transported safely.
We offer regular service between Seattle and Southeast Alaska, Central Alaska, and Hawaii, as well as seasonal service to Western Alaska and locations in the Arctic region. Trailers can also be shipped between Hawaii and Alaska.
What you need to know:
- We provide transportation of your trailer between our Service Centers only. View a list of our locations.
- Rates are based on overall length “end-to-end.” This includes the tongue or hitches (tip of the tongue to back of the bumper).
- Customers shipping to or from Central Alaska – Trailers may be transported via the railroad so we only accept trailers that fit the Whittier tunnel restrictions.
- Customers shipping to Alaska – Personal effects are allowed in the trailer, but are only accepted at a release valuation of $0.10 per pound. This means if the personal effects are damaged in transit, the maximum coverage offered is $0.10 per pound. The weight of the personal effects must be noted on the bill of lading for this coverage to apply.
- Customers shipping to Hawaii – Personal effects are allowed in the trailer at an additional cost, and accepted at a release valuation of $0.10 per pound. This means if the personal effects are damaged in transit, the maximum coverage offered is $0.10 per pound. The weight of the personal effects must be noted on the bill of lading for this coverage to apply and a USDA declaration must be completed.
- Exceptions may apply and will be provided at time of booking.
Follow these instructions for shipping your trailer
- Tongue and swing hitches, and mirrors, should be folded if possible. AML cannot perform this task for liability reasons.
- Household goods/personal effects are allowed to ship within trailers. These items are covered by cargo liability not exceeding $0.10/lb. The weight of the personal effects must be noted on the bill of lading for this coverage to apply, and for Hawaii customers a USDA declaration must be completed.
- Hazardous materials are NOT allowed inside the trailer. This includes but not limited to such items as fire extinguishers and propane tanks.
- The trailer cannot exceed the vehicle gross rating – it is unsafe if greater.
- Your trailer shipment must be booked in advance. To request a booking number, please submit our form or contact us.
- Please provide your booking number when dropping your trailer to our Service Center. For hours of operation and other information view a list of our locations.
- View our sailing schedules to get sailing dates, transit time and cargo cutoff times.
- Track your shipment with the AML tracking number, or booking number, in our tracking center.
- Receive automatic email notifications with Shipment Updates when your shipment departs origin, arrives at destination, and the date it will be available for pickup.
- Note: after the barge arrives at its destination please allow time for unloading before your shipment is available for pickup. Our team will contact you by phone or email to let you know when your shipment can be picked up.
We have the equipment experience solutions for your freight needs!
Get a Quote
Submit a request to receive a personalized quote from one of our freight professionals.
Book a Shipment
Complete our form to book your shipment. Include your quote number if you have one.