Need help? Our experts are ready to find the solution you need.
Shipping Household Goods to Alaska or Hawaii
Moving to Alaska or Hawaii? Ship your household goods with Alaska Marine Lines! Our barge service is a reliable and economical option for those interested in traveling or relocating to Alaska or Hawaii. Our knowledgeable and friendly team will answer any questions and make sure your items are transported safely.
We offer regular service between Seattle and Southeast Alaska, Central Alaska, and Hawaii, as well as seasonal service to Western Alaska and locations in the Arctic region. Household goods can also be shipped between Hawaii and Alaska.
What you need to know:
- We can transport household goods boxed and stacked on pallets for shipping as a less than containerload (LCL) shipment to Alaska. We provide LCL shipping of household goods between our Service Centers only. View a list of our locations.
- Household goods can also be transported in a full containerload (FCL) to Alaska and Hawaii. As a general guideline, a 3-bedroom home will typically fit into a full 20-foot container. View our equipment page for other container options.
- Household goods are accepted at a release valuation of $0.10 per pound. This means if the goods are damaged in transit, the maximum coverage offered is $0.10 per pound.
- Customers shipping to Hawaii – Only full containerloads of household goods are accepted to and from Hawaii.
- We do not accept shipments of ammunition, hazardous items, or live animals from personal parties.
- Alaska Marine Lines will stage a container or pallets at our location for you to load, however we do not assist with loading or unloading your personal effects.
- Shipping charges must be paid in advance or when you drop off your shipment.
- Exceptions may apply and will be provided at time of booking.
Follow these instructions for shipping your household goods
- Household goods must be properly packaged and protected for transportation. Household goods are accepted at a release valuation of $0.10 per pound.
- AML does not assist in loading or unloading household goods. AML does not assume responsibility for proper loading beyond release value.
- If a customer needs to load a container it must be scheduled in advance. The customer will need to provide their own labor, and children and pets must be supervised at all times. AML does not provide additional equipment for loading.
- Loading and unloading at our Service Centers must be performed during normal business hours.
- Shipping charges must be paid in advance or when you drop off your shipment. To request a booking number, please submit our form or contact us.
- Please provide your booking number when dropping household goods to our Service Center. For hours of operation and other information view a list of our locations.
- View our sailing schedules to get sailing dates, transit time, and cargo cutoff times.
- Track your shipment with the AML tracking number, or booking number, in our tracking center.
- Receive automatic email notifications with Shipment Updates when your shipment departs origin, arrives at destination, and the date it will be available for pickup.
- Note: after the barge arrives at its destination please allow time for unloading before your shipment is available for pickup. Our team will contact you by phone or email to let you know when your shipment can be picked up.
Our team will contact you by phone or email to let you know when your shipment can be picked up. Storage charges apply after 5 full days (includes weekends & holidays) from availability notification. View a list of our Service Centers for address information and hours of operation to pick up your household goods.
We have the equipment experience solutions for your freight needs!
Get a Quote
Submit a request to receive a personalized quote from one of our freight professionals.
Book a Shipment
Complete our form to book your shipment. Include your quote number if you have one.